Thursday, August 6, 2009

Roberts Family Reunion


Last week was full of visitors! On Wednesday afternoon, we had a friend from Mesa, Aaron Ellsworth, come up and stay the night. He was here to do music recording with some friends before he goes on his mission. Also Wednesday we had Ryan's Mom, Evelyn, and his brother Rick (or as I call him Ricky- lou) come up! I was so excited to have a house full of people! It was really nice to not be alone at night. On Thursday Ricky-lou and I took the kids to the Lehi pool. It was great, because with 2 adults, Kate and Clark finally got to go down the slide! I was never able to take both of them by myself. Friday Rick was a good sport and went to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house with me. It is a beautiful temple, as all temples are. There were lots of people, but it surprisingly didn't take too long to get through. On the way home we stopped at the Golden Arches, so needless to say, the kids liked having Rick around! He was awesome about helping me out with the kids and keeping them entertained.

Saturday we drove to Vernal for Evelyn's family reunion. We all met at the church for a luncheon and then went out to the cemetary. Evelyn's brother Frank has a business making decorative headstones, and made new headstones for Evelyn's paternal grandparents and great grandmother. So we had a little dedicatory prayer at the gravesites. I also learned something I didn't know about Evelyn's parents- they lost 3 children. 2 of them died the day they were born and the other only lived 5 days. I just couldn't believe it. I have no grandparents of my own, and so have adopted Grandma and Grandpa Roberts for my own. I love grandma Roberts, but after having learned that, I have a whole new respect for her.
Grandma's Babies


The new headstone

After visiting the cemetary we went back to Grandma and Grandpa's house in Roosevelt and stayed the rest of the afternoon, then made the 2 hour drive home. It was a long day, but good to meet and learn new things about family. I am facinated in learning things about our family- and realize that I need to do more family history. I constantly have the thought in the back of my mind and need to just get started!


G and G Roberts with Kate, Mason and Clark


G and G Roberts with Kate, Clark, Evelyn, Rick and I

G and G Roberts and their children,
John, Frank, Neil, Wendell,
Evelyn, Jean and Wendy

2 comments:

Nancy Pitney said...

What a neat post. There's nothing like a family reunion to spark interest in family history. I always enjoyed talking to the older folk at Rusty's reunions because their stories are so interesting!

Kami Milliron said...

What an incredible woman, to lose all those children and keep on living a good life. When I saw the Headstone of her children, it broke my heart. But then it broke my heart even more when I saw one of her kids was named Elizabeth.