Saturday, January 30, 2010

London's Run

Today was the 5th annual London's Run. Where do I even start? For the passed 3 years I have been in charge of all the food for the runners at the event. This year I kept my foot in the door even though I was in Utah for all of the planning. I helped via phone and email, and then a little this passed week and then today at the event. But instead of working the food station all day, I entrusted the responsibility to some lovely ladies and decided to run the 10k this year. This is the first year I have actually run in London's Run. I've always been too busy to participate. I am really glad that I had the opportunity to run. It was a beautiful day, not too cold (although there were some people dressed like it was snowing outside- I guess Utah toughened me up a bit) and the race course was just beautiful. Running through the farm land in Queen Creek was such a different feel than running the streets of Mesa for the Turkey Trot. It made me reflect on London and the times she probably spent running in those fields. I did get emotional a few times during the run, but then was snapped out of it by my burning legs and feet. I am proud to say that there was a mix up in the race course and I actually ran closer to 7 miles instead of 6! I didn't know I could run that far!


Here is the runners food station I was in charge of
Here's Jenny and Ellen, who I couldn't have done it without. Yesterday Jenny traveled all around the valley with me picking stuff up and then driving it out to Schnepf Farms. She even let me tell her to go the wrong way and got her truck stuck in the mud. I have to give a special shout out to Ellen for all of her help today. She drove out with me this morning at 5:45am, helped me get everything set up and was my "pack mule" for the day. She even ran the food tables while I was running.
This is Erin Strickland, a long time friend who faithfully gives up her Saturday every year to spend it under the State Farm canopy handing out bananas and oranges and providing the comic relief.

I have to give a special thank you to Ryan for all his support every year. He went to Sprouts first thing this morning, kids in tow, to get 4 more boxes of bananas for me. He was a trooper and took care of the kids all day and then wound up all the flags from the parking area. Love you Rye.

Every year it is a tradition that after it's all said and done, and we're all cleaned up- our family and some other faithfuls stay and we release the balloons from the finish line. My sister Heather ( London's Mom) always says a few words about London, thanks everyone for their help and then we all cry! At London's funeral we all wrote little messages to her tied to balloons and then let them go- so every year we do the same. This time Kate and Clark got to hold the balloon arch and let it go.

Here's what it looked like on the ground.
Here's what it looked like when we let it go.
I love to participate in London's Run for many reasons. 1) I get to feel London's Spirit and feel close to her again 2) it is a great cause that raises money for families just like ours that has a child with cancer and 3) it just feels good to be a part of something big that helps people in our communities regardless of age, race or religion. It's neat to see so many people come together, work so hard and as a result touch people's lives. Thank you London for you life and your example of doing hard things cheerfully. Thank you for helping us remember every year the importance of family and the reality of life after death. Thank you for not only touching lives while you were here on earth- but continuing to do so even after you are gone. Love you Londee!

3 comments:

Jenny Johnson said...

Thank you SO much for asking me to go! I had such a good time. I want to train to race next year! and there is no one else I would rather get stuck in the mud with!! I had a great weekend with ya!

Tiffany Haynes said...

I'm sad I missed it this year. It looked like a huge success!

Nancy Pitney said...

Thanks for all you do. It is so nice to know that the food is taken care of by very capable people and we don't have to worry about it. You and all your ladies are the best!