Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Christmas

Here are some of the highlights from our Christmas this year:
 Every Christmas Eve is spent with my family. It has always been a tradition for my family to reenact the Nativity story and then exchange gifts between siblings. The tradition has changed some over the years with our increase of numbers, but all of us being together on Christmas eve stays the same.  We still do a Nativity reenactment, but it's mostly the kids that do the acting, and now we watch a little video presentation of pictures from Christ's life with music. After all that we have a gift exchange. It used to be between my siblings, but as more and more in-laws joined the family, it started to become expensive. So it evolved to the kids having a cereal box exchange ( what kid doesn't want their own box of cereal) and the adults do a white elephant gift exchange. We used to do a $10 gift, but with the down turn in the economy- we decided to do just something funny you had at your house. Now it has evolved to who can find the funniest, most random object either in their own home, or at Goodwill. I must say, as every year goes by, it gets funnier and funnier. Although I didn't take any pictures of the adult gift exchange, there were some pretty hilarious gifts this year. So if in the years to come, you are looking for something to do on Christmas Eve- stop on by- you won't be disappointed!

Here are the kids doing the cereal box exchange.
Here's Clark with his box of Trix.  We brought this box, and he was bound and determined to win it back.

Kate ended up with Cocoa krispies. She had one bowl, and that was about it. I think Clark has
eaten the rest of it.

Ryan and I were up till midnight wrapping presents and getting everything
ready for Christmas morning.  Here's what it looked like when we went to bed.

I scored this brand new easel at a garage sale for $8- they sell at Walmart for $60.  I bought
the aprons from Michaels and added the names and pockets.

Clark got this cars 'garage'

Opening their stockings

Kate with her Jessie doll

Ryan had to buy this for Clark, but really it was for him.  It is a bit big for Clark, but he is figuring out how to work it himself.

Ryan opening his presents

I also scored this tinkerbell costume and a few other dress up dresses
 at a garage sale- all for about $12. Ryan bought her the tiara from Charming Charlie's. It is a 'real'
tiara- and she takes very good care of it!

My parents bought Clark a power tool set, complete with safety glasses. I thought that he might
not want tools anymore- but boy was I wrong! It's a good thing  Nana and Paco are on the ball. He still
wears the safety glasses all the time.

Kate had to give the safety glasses a try.
Funniest of all is Ryan with the safety  glasses and Clarks power drill.
I guess you never get too old for some things!

Christmas morning after we opened all our presents, my parents and my sister Nancy came over for blintzes. (Traditional breakfast in my family- kinda like crapes) After we ate and played for a bit, we got dressed and went over to the Johnson's for presents and Christmas dinner.  
All in all it was a great Christmas. Our kids were very spoiled this year, and will probably not get as much stuff in years to come! Ryan bought me a new sewing machine- which I am very excited to get out and use. I asked for a very basic machine, but of course Ryan cannot buy basic tools and got the 'quilting' sewing machine that has about 90 different stitches. I don't know if I will ever use all 90 stitches- but I will certainly try. I have already picked out fabric to start making the bumper pads for the baby's crib! 

1 comment:

Nancy Pitney said...

Yay for Christmas! At least you got some pics of the gift exchange, I only ever take pics of the nativity! Thanks for the blintzes--Rusty says they were yum. (But then again, what have you ever cooked that Rusty didn't like? Thanks for the competition! :-))