Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July

We hadn't planned on doing much of anything over the 4th of July weekend because Ryan was going to have to work on Saturday. But much to my surprise on Friday morning he called me and told me he didn't have to work Saturday, so we could go to the cabin. So Friday I frantically ran all my errands, so we could get out the door at a reasonable time. We got up to the cabin Friday late afternoon and enjoyed our weekend out of the heat! Ryan and I love to sleep downstairs, with the window open and freeze ourselves out. It was in the 50's at night and we LOVED it. Haven't slept that good in months! Saturday my brother Dave brought his family up and Kate and Clark loved having all those cousins around, but mostly just Jacob and Ella. Here's what we did all day Saturday.

Ryan went into town and got worms so the kids could really fish in the pond. Here's Clark catching a fish from the pond.



I get the Mom/ Aunt of the weekend award for all of the 4th of July crafts I did for the kids. Kate and Clark helped me make sugar cookies and then all the kids got to frost and decorate them.


Then I found this really cute idea off the Better Homes and Gardens website. I bought these chinese take-out boxes from Michaels, then use stickers, ribbon and such for the kids to decorate them with. Then I made some carmel popcorn to put inside. We took them to the fireworks show and the kids ate their popcorn while we waited for the fireworks.



Saturday evening we drove up to Heber for the best fireworks show in Arizona. I hesitate to tell people about it, because I want it to stay the best kept secret! They do the fireworks show at the high school, and there are alot of people that go, but you don't fight crowds like you do in the valley. This year we camped out on the softball field. It was perfect. The kids had a place to run and play while we waited, but we were still close enough that the fireworks are right over you.

Here's Jacob trying to teach Clark how to play football. Poor Clark. We are not sports people- so his cousins and uncles have to pick up the slack.


Here's Kate and Ella. They were buddies all weekend. Kate mostly just bossed Ella around and made her play the baby while she was the mommy. This picture reminds me of a picture of my sister Bridgett and I when we were about their age. (I'll have to find that)


My oldest sister Aimee, Ryan and my Dad



Jacob and Ella eating their popcorn.


After our great weekend at the cabin, we actually came home early to go to our ward. (we haven't been to our ward much the passed month, and Ryan and I needed to fulfill our callings!)
I had a really neat experience at church Sunday. Of course it was 4th of July so alot of the comments were about the founding of our country. For the closing hymn we sang 'The Star Spangled Banner' and I was so overcome that I couldn't sing the last verse. If you haven't, you need to read all 3 verses of that song. It is powerful. I am just so grateful to live in this great country. I'm grateful for the freedoms that I enjoy and for those who have, and continue to sacrifice their lives for our liberty. I am proud to be an American! God Bless America!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Looks like you had so much fun! I love the popcorn bucket idea. Very cute!