Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gingerbread House


It's a Haynes family tradition to make gingerbread houses every year before Christmas. For the past few years I have continued the tradition with my own family- usually just Ryan and I. In years passed, we made our houses out of graham cracker, the way my Mom does it, but this year I decided to take it a step further. I've always wanted to try to make a real gingerbread house out of real gingerbread. I've seen those kits at the store and have been tempted to buy one, but I am "Suzy-homemaker" and couldn't cheat by buying one, but decided to make one all by myself.

I found a recipe in a cookbook I already had, that had the recipe and the measurements for the house itself. So Monday afternoon I decided to give it a try- so we could decorate it for Family Home Evening. Well much to my surprise, it took a lot longer to make all the pieces than I anticipated. I finally finished making the pieces about 7:30pm- which was much too late to put it together and decorate it. So after the kids went to bed, Ryan and I put it together.

The recipie made enough dough to make a base for the house- which I didn't do- so we had some extra dough. Tuesday the kids and I made gingerbread boys and girls and decorated them.



Then Tuesday night when Ryan got home, I got everything out and we decorated the house. It was alot of fun. Kate and I decorated one side and Clark and Ryan decorated the other.




This is the side Kate and I decorated. At first I tried to make it look cute- then I just let her go to town and put stuff where ever she wanted.

Ryan was not so lenient with Clark. Their side of course looks pristine. (Ryan is a superintendent you know)

So eventhough all our Christmas decorations are still in our attic in Mesa, we are finding ways to fill our home with the Christmas Spirit!

7 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

I am TRULY impressed ! At least you tried it, right ? They turned out cute though. Good job. You're such a good Mom : )

Jennifer Nielson said...

I love it! Very impressive. We also wanted to make "real" gingerbread houses this week. But like your 7:30 dilemma, we couldn't find the time. So we just did the graham cracker thing. Did you like the recipe you used? I would love a copy if you have a chance to post it or email.

Was thinking of you on the mission the other day... Your were a great example and still are!

Jenny Johnson said...

I love it! You are Suzy homeaker!! I am impressed. I can't believe how big the kids are, they look bigger in every picture I see!

Hannah Manis said...

I love that you're starting your own little traditions. It looks like the kids had fun, and that's what's important!

Nancy Pitney said...

that was my comment-sorry, apparently Hannah used my computer last!

Bridgett Ronan said...

I love it! give me your recipe, so I can start making traditions too!
Love you- can't wait to see you!
Bridgett and Rob

Ellen said...

I bet that house is not only tasty but also structurally sound! Nacho and I agree...You guys are the best!