Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Baby Chicks

Yes it's true! We have little baby chicks! Last fall I decided that I want to have chickens of my own to raise for eggs. I grew up with chickens and it only made sence when you think about food storage and such. When hurricane IKE hit last September, Ryan's sister was right in the middle of it. They were fine, but when they returned home, Walmart didnt have produce or dairy products for weeks because they couldn't truck anything in. It was hard for them to cook or make anything normal without eggs. So that's when I for sure decided that I wanted chickens. Since I had grown up with them- I thought, "I can do this!".

About a month ago some friends in my ward decided they all wanted chicks too, so we went in together and ordered them from a hen hatchery. They come in the mail; yes, you actually pick them up at the post office! They got here Tuesday and we have been having fun with them since!
Kate and Clark just love them and we go out to look at them at least a dozen times every day. They are pretty good about being soft, but I still catch them sticking their little paws in the box. Ryan has really taken a liking to them. He's been teasing me all along about getting them, mostly because he has to build the coup, but he was out there for about a half hour yesterday just watching them. It was cute- he even checked on them before we went to bed- just like he does the kids!
We did loose one today. I'm not sure why she didn't make it. Most likely from being transported here. I noticed that she wasnt doing very well today so I was watching her and then this afternoon I went out there and she was gone. It's sad, but I knew that was bound to happen.
I will to post more pictures as our 12 chickies get bigger!

9 comments:

The Weights said...

I would really love to get mor info. from you about this! I would love to have a few chickens too! Did you have to get zoning to have them- and don't you have to have a rooster?
I bet that the kids are LOVING them! What a fun learning experience for them!

The Weights said...

Wow- you would think that I don't know how to spell! I would like MORE information!

Kami Milliron said...

I think this is a great idea because not only will you have eggs whenever you need them, but it's a fun thing for your kids. Who wouldn't LOVE Chickens in their backyard ?! And I think a lot of people who think about Food Storage think about using it when some sort of plague hits and they ate stuck inside their homes. But really, the most realistic time to need it would be from a natural disaster - like a major storm.

The Curry Family said...

How fun! I'm sure your kids are loving them. And they'll love helping collect the eggs too, I'm sure!

Jenny Johnson said...

So cute!!! I loved watching them look at them! They get SO excited!

Have Ryan tell you what Clark said during story time on Tuesday night! GREAT!!!

Leslie said...

I wanted to get some but decided not to with our cat and dog. I also thought you had to have a rooster and my husband corrected me on that. So maybe next time there is an order put in, I will get some. My kids would absolutely love it!!

Ashley Harris said...

How fun! Free entertainment right in your own backyard! We might have to invite ourselves over to check out your chicks :)

Ellen said...

This freaks me out a little bit. Are you guys going to try to make me touch them?

Nancy Pitney said...

You have to make sure and tell everyone how you cooked one! :-) (Don't worry, I probably would have done the same thing). good luck!