Thursday, October 9, 2008

Potty Training

Kate just went poop in the toilet! I can't believe it. I have not tried at all to potty train her. She has been telling me over the past few weeks when she has pooped in her diaper, and has recently started telling me when she is about to poop. So the other day at my moms, she said she had to poop and we put her on the toilet, and nothing. So then today she told me she had to poop, and then said,"toilet". So I sat her down and what do you know- she acutally pooped! I know I should be thrilled, but this just means potty training- which I know nothing about. Plus I have to buy a little potty chair and panites and all that. Not to mention all the accidents that are bound to happen, and having to carry an extra set of clothes everywhere.
So I am soliciting help. If you have any suggestions as to how I can do this - please share! If you have any good books, movies, websites or anything that can educate me as to how to do this- I'd apprecate it! Thanks!

8 comments:

The Montgomerys said...

You don't need any help the girl know what she's doing. Hooray for Kate! Once they start going on the toilet then it's good to go. It gets kida crazy always asking if the child has to go but kate knows. So give me a call but I think Kate is ready.
P.S. Just use the spot remover and order out, you'll love it

Kami Milliron said...

First of all, I have a potty chair you can use. It was the one Douglas used and it is just sitting in my bathroom.
Second of all, you are half way there with the potty training ! She is already pooping in the toilet and to me, that was the hardest part of training Douglas. Getting him to pee in the potty was a breeze, but getting him to poop in the potty took me about a month. So just work with her on peeing in the potty and maybe even reward her when she does ( we gave Douglas gum as a reward ) The hard part if going to be training Clark. Boys are a little harder to train than Girls. He might be intimidated also that his Sister is doing it and he isn't. You should talk to Ashley, she potty trained twins pretty recently.

Karen S. said...

Try potty training rewards. This worked great for our son. He loved pushing the button hearing he is a Big Boy and opening a door to find a chocolate surprise. He really became involved. He was peeing and pooping in his potty within a week Have a look and sees if this would work for you. www.pottytrainingrewards.com

The Curry Family said...

My daughter was easy, she pretty much did it all by herself! I never bought/used a potty chair though, I wanted her to use the 'big' potty and not be scared of it, she did great with it. Since she was so easy, I'm afraid of what my son will be like :)

Jenny Johnson said...

Um, I can't believe she is old enough to be doing that!! I swear they were just born?!!!

Ellen said...

Hey, I tagged you today!

Kim said...

Congratulations!!! When I was ready to potty train someone recommended the site www.3daypottytraining.com I was pretty skeptical at first but figured I'd give it a go. It does cost but give pretty sound advice and I don't regret doing it. But that wasn't my golden ticket. I called my Aunt amid my potty training frustration and she told me how she trained her boys YEARS ago. She used an apron and treats. Put on an apron and have small treats (I used raisins and mini M&M's)...every 10-15 minutes ask if she is dry or clean, if she is she gets a treat. It's the opposite of rewarding for actually using the potty but I found it MUCH more effective...and we want dry the rest of the week and have had VERY few accidents since. Then I slowly weened off the apron a few days later when I could see he was doing things well by himself. I also scheduled 3 days where I focused only on him to get it done...then I didn't have to worry about it afterward!
Good Luck!!!

Nancy Pitney said...

I hear girls just potty train themselves. It's Clark you should be worried about!