Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Garden

When I was growing up, my parents always had a garden and I, along with my brothers and sisters, were always volunteered to help take care of it. I remember having my Mom wake me up early on Saturday morning to go weed the garden and hating it! I just hated working in the garden. It wasn't until I went on my mission that I realized the value of a garden. I remember the first time I had to buy lettuce and thinking- shoot- I could get this for free at home!!! I learned alot about gardening on my mission, as everyone in Idaho has a garden, and some people make their living off the land. So since I've been married I've wanted to have a garden, and it wasn't until we moved into this house that I was able to do it.
Last winter is when I officially started gardening. I have to say- without my Dad, it would've never happened. My Dad is an amazing gardener and has an amazing garden. He has it down to an art-and can grow just about anything (that will grow in Arizona) and even has stuff coming up on it's own. So I was asking my Dad for tips on how to get started, and one Saturday (my Mom was out of town and I think he was bored) he called and asked if I wanted help getting my garden started. I excitedly agreed, and he brought over his rowdo-tiller and all the tools and even some seeds. Well I was busy doing something with the kids when he got there - and by the time I got outside to help, he had already used the rowdo-tiller, made rows and was planting the seeds! All I had to do was water and weed for the next few months, and ended up with a garden full of lettuce, broccoli and spinach.
So this spring I was on my own. I started my summer garden late, one because I procrastinated and two, my Dad's rowdo-tiller was broken. So I planted anyways the end of May- and am now enjoying my harvest!
I planted tomatoes, watermelon, squash, pumpkin, corn and cucumber. My tomatoes and corn didn't do very well this year- but the watermelon and cucumber have taken over! The squash and pumpkin have grown alot and have huge vines, but I haven't got much fruit off of them.

I have to say that I love to garden now. I enjoy going out and picking the weeds and just spending the time outside. It is the most rewarding feeling to pick and eat food from your own garden. And it really isn't that difficult. I spent the most time planting, and now just have to water everyday. I can't really pick weeds in my summer garden because the vines and plants cover the entire garden!
So I am taking this moment to share my success! If you want some cucumbers- I'd be happy to give you some!

This is in July- the squash are against the wall and the watermelon are the small plants on the bottom.
Corn in July
Tomatoes in the corner and cucumber on the ground

This was a few weeks ago- you cant even see the ground!
Heres one of the watermelons- we have about 12 more growing!
Here's the harvest! Cucumbers, butternut squash and watermelon

5 comments:

Kristy said...

I am so beyond jealous! I really miss my garden at our last house. I loved to watch Porter when the little seedlings sprouted and then when we got to harvest. It was such a wonder to him!

Jess said...

Nice work!! If I only had somewhere to put such a fabulous garden. As for cucumbers.. I take fresh ones anytime. Those are the best. Hope all is well with the Johnsons!!

The Weights said...

I definitely need to get going on this!! I have wanted to do a garden for YEARS! Thanks for the inspiration!

Tiffany Haynes said...

I've been wanting a garden for so long, but just haven't ever gotten around to it. That's wonderful that your garden is doing so well. I might have t wait till our next home for one, I think our backyard is too small.

Ellen said...

You green-thumbed lady! Way to go! Those are the biggest cucumbers I have ever seen.